Graduate Audition Guidelines
Specific questions about the appropriateness of musical selections may be directed to the applied instructor of the specific instrument. See the faculty directory for contact information. Memorization is not required, except for voice and piano. Sight-reading will be requested.
Graduate Vocal Auditions
- Prepare a minimum of six selections in differing styles and expressing proficiency in English, French, German, and Italian.
- At least one selection must be an operatic aria. At least one selection must be an aria from an oratorio.
- Memorization of all works is required.
- An accompanist will be provided for your audition.
Graduate Instrumental Auditions
- Prepare three contrasting compositions (or movements of larger works) from the major repertoire for that instrument.
- Sight-reading, scales and arpeggios may be requested.
- Memorization is not required.
On-campus auditions are strongly recommended. However, when a face-to-face audition is not possible a recorded audition will be accepted, at the discretion of the appropriate applied faculty. All recordings must be received and application materials be complete in the ECU Graduate School’s online application system prior to March 1 for assistantship and out-of-state tuition waiver consideration. Recordings should be accompanied by a statement of the recording dates, the composer and title of each work, and the specific graduate program to which you are applying. Mail recorded audition materials to: MUSICADMISSIONS@ecu.edu